11 February 2012

Reading bedtime stories to children can make you a better speaker.

Do you read your kids bedtime stories? 

I'm 11 years older than my youngest sister, so I've been reading bedtime stories all my life.  I read her The Lorax so often I can still recite it by memory many years later (which comes in handy with my niece and nephews, especially on car journeys).


Great speech making and presentations are always about telling a story and connecting with an audience. The more you practice story-telling the better. 


Reading aloud Kids' books is not only fun, it also helps you develop a sense of rhythm, practice different characterisations, and get comfortable hearing the sound of your own voice. It's a safe space to be silly and try new things because, let's face it, kids aren't exactly a demanding audience.  

The feedback they most often give is "Again!!!" 

Young children are happy to hear a story over and over (and over) again, which gives you the chance to practice. 

So if you want to be better at presentations, try reading a few bedtime stories to kids.  It's fun, it's good for family bonding, and it's great practice for speaking.

No comments:

Blog Archive