27 August 2009

Pigs flying in bank

I was in the BNZ Central Christchurch branch today (waiting a bit for the computer to unfreeze so I could put the pin on my credit card) and looked around.

I was trying to put my finger on what wasn't quite working. You had to wait for the tellers in an avenue of shiny brochures - lots of marketing paraphernalia with pretty cartoon pigs, and the new comic sans-ish logo. Then there was the old fashioned bank/office block decor and ceiling tiles.

And then I realised that all the material was, like the pig, cartoonish artwork. It would look the same in Second Life as it did in real life. And there wasn't a photo of a real person (or anything real or natural) at all - bar one poster for a charity event.

Then I crossed the road and ANZ's material is full of pictures of the people it serves (or actors like them)

I wonder who BNZ is targeting?

(*I realised I couldn't spell paraphernalia - looked it up and discovered it was a term of art in law referring to the separate property of married women - clothing and jewellery appropriate for her station, but not part of her dower, or heirloom jewellery - the property of the heirs. Fascinating)

No comments:

Blog Archive