22 February 2011

Another earthquake post


It’s actually worse in some ways being away from home when an earthquake strikes.  I didn’t immediately know about the earthquake until around 2pm. 6.3 didn't sound so bad.  I'd come through 7.1. 
And then the anxiety starts: where’s Dad? Is he OK?  What about Nick my brother-in-law and the kids, niece 5 and nephew whose birthday it is today.  
The earthquake damage in Christchurch is so severe it’s surreal.
The lovely buildings, the provincial chambers, the churches , the basilica and even the cathedral itself.  Ruined.
And so many deaths.
Tomorrow there will be names – I hope – each name I don’t know some kind of relief (for me, but not for others).
Last time we were lucky.  This time it’s the real disaster.
My father is OK.  He was driving into the garage when it struck, and was thankgully still in the car.  Some bookshelves fell on top of the car – but dents are fixable - and a wooden speaker from an old stereo – about 3 feet long, and stored on top of a shelf flew from one side of the garage and landed in the laundry sink on the far wall. 
The driveway is buckled and the garage door won’t shut, there is food over the kitchen, pictures off the walls and the house is a mess, but structurally it seems to have survived – what can be seen of it at least. 
The church, Durham Street Methodist, is apparently now rubble, as are so many distinguished and beautiful buildings.  The Baptist church over the road is rubble too. 
Family are safe, if shaken.  Niece and nephew were at school – and got to go hom early – a bonus of sorts for the birthday boy. They seem resilient.  Earthquakes are things that happen in their world view. 
Their Dad is OK too, and they still got to have birthday tea at McDonalds – Hornby still had power.
Many friends all reported safe – so far.  But many still silent.   One friend worked in a  2 storey building that is shown on the news with it’s façade fallen off.   I hope she’s OK.  I don’t know yet.
It’s hard resisting the temptation to ring up and clog the phone lines.  I want to be there with my Dad – with my Mum out of town he’s on his own.   I want to be there cleaning up the kitchen, and stacking books back on shelves, and picking up the pieces so he doesn’t have to do it on his own. 
I was in Christchurch yesterday and for two nights before.  So I’m lucky, I guess.   But we wait and see.  Many friends still to report.

No comments:

Blog Archive